Wednesday 17 February 2016

Parked up at the career crossroads

Plenty of flat whites and coffee shops have helped settle my thoughts this week!


I love my job. Yes, I whinge about it now and then but I enjoy it- the variety, the challenge, the holidays, the decent wage and, until last week, the job security.

We’ve just gone through restructuring and very naively, I thought that my job and department were safe. Not quite. Even in the industry of education, it would seem career-wise that we all need a Plan B. The restructuring proposal will see us lose a member of staff from my department. As for me, my role is being assimilated, meaning that I will continue to lead my own department, but also take on another whole-institution responsibility. It will be much more of a management role than what I’m currently in and pushes me even higher up the pecking order. It potentially takes me away from doing the aspects of the job which I love but until I see the exact job description (you MUST read this), I’m still in the dark and just mulling over possibilities here. 

Times are uncertain but one thing I do know is this: I cannot and do not want to take on even more responsibility.  After a long, hard think and knowing how busy things do get at work, I do not believe that I can manage to lead my own department and then take on another responsibility. I’m flattered that people think I am capable of this and that they trust me with masses of responsibility, but where is the work life balance?  Over the last year, I know for a fact that I have been living to work and not the other way around.  I work my eight hours a day Monday to Friday, followed by another few hours each evening and then a good few hours over weekends. What would this workload be like if I was doing double the amount of work?

My heart tells me that maybe it’s time to give up some of the success and take a step back, slow down, take a slight pay cut and enjoy things again.  I’m getting married soon and come September when I would be in my new super role, is this really the best way to start married life by taking on bigger things at work that ultimately will be too much and make me depressed? It doesn’t sound like such a good option to me.

In all of this, my head has been a whirl but I have learned and realised one or two things. We will all end up at the career crossroads at some point in our lives and ultimately we have to:

1.        Be prepared for them.
2.       Believe that what will be, will be. Let life and energy flow naturally and you will end with the best and correct outcome.
3.       Always have an updated CV and letter of application good to go- you’ll never know when you’ll need them and it is a BIG job noting down everything you have done over a 12 year career.
4.       Being a member of a trade union is worth it- they will fly into action for you whenever restructuring happens.
5.       Keep up to date in changes and advances in your industry- even if you just read about these in a blog or something, keep your finger on the industry pulse.
6.       Know your money- how much do you earn? How much do you owe and save? Can you afford a pay cut? How much pension do you pay?  What are our outgoings? What is financially do-able and realistic?
7.       Wait until you have the facts. Restructuring might make you immediately jump onto a job-hunting website and many people choose to jump before they are (possibly) pushed. If this is for you, fine. If you want to play things a little slower, wait and see what unfolds in your trade union discussions. Remember that the 30 days after the restructuring proposal is a consultation process where details need to be reviewed, asked about and, if necessary, challenged. Things aren’t set in stone just yet....
8.       ...But at the same time, there’s no harm looking at what’s out there, putting out the feelers and creating a Plan B.
9.       Meet with your employer to find out what your new role will entail, but take a union rep with you. Read your job description and compare it against your old one.
10.   Unite with your co-workers. Don’t slag off one another based on whose job is safe and who needs to reapply. You are in this together and as a group, you will have more power than as an individual. Support one another.

For me right now, I’ve done what I can.  I’ve brushed up my CV and a letter of application meaning I am good to go if things don’t change and I do decide to apply for a new job. At first in all of this, I was scared. I’ve worked at the same place since I was a graduate and know it well. I’ve started off at the bottom and worked my way up, earning the high position that I have there based on experience rather than a thirst to get to the top quickly. I am proud of my achievements there but if it’s time to go, then I have to and I am ready.

On the bright side, I have also considered what my Plan B might entail.  Yes I will work within the same job, potentially at a lower wage, though with a greater amount of free time. Maybe I’ll have more time to blog and earn extra pennies from it. Maybe I’ll have time to pen that book and self publish it on Amazon Kindle. Maybe I’ll have time to brush up on my photography skills and make some extra pocket money from that.  The house will be clean too!!

These sexy notebooks (£2 each from Sainsbury's) are perfect for making notes as you're planning and plotting Plan B.



Yes, the threat of changing jobs and redundancy is a daunting one but as the saying goes, ‘every cloud has a silver lining’. Times are uncertain and this occasionally hits me in waves of fear and apprehension but at the same time, I can’t help but feel that this could be the start of a brand new adventure. I’ll keep you posted (unless I end up on the dole).

No comments:

Post a Comment